- University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
MFA Film & Video Production 2005. Department of Media Study.
MAH Film & Video Production 1998. Department of Media Study.
Thesis Title: Using the Real as a Poetic Element in Cinema: A free form
writing experiment based on the work of Pier Paolo Pasolini
- Pratt Institute, New York, NY
BFA Fine Arts: Painting 1989
Deans List 1987, 1988, 1989
- University of Southern Mississippi, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
Film program. Assistant Professor in Film Production. Fall 2015 to Present.
Intro To Film Studies (FLM 170)
Basic Cinematography (FLM 371)
Advanced Cinematography (FLM 471)
Advanced Editing (FLM 485)
Documentary Production (FLM 47)
- Fredonia State University, SUNY, Visual Arts and New Media Department.
Adjunct Faculty Spring 2015
Experimental Video I & II
- Fredonia State University, SUNY, Department of Communication.
Adjunct Faculty 2012-2014
Capstone Documentary Production I & II (COMM 452 / COMM 462)
Post Production (COMM 366)
Video Field Production (COMM 354)
- University at Buffalo, SUNY, Department of Media Study.
Instructor (Teaching Assistantship) 1996-1999
Basic 16mm Film Production (DMS 101)
Adjunct Faculty 1999-2006 / 2014
Intermediate Film Production (DMS 301)
Advanced Film Production (DMS 401)
Film History I (DMS 107)
Film Analysis II (DMS 306)
Non-Fiction Production Workshop (DMS 403)
Advanced Film Production (DMS 501)
Non-Fiction Production Workshop (DMS 510)
- Squeaky Wheel/Buffalo Media Resources 1998-2013
Instructor, Video Production Workshops, Film Production Workshop,
Experimental Filmmaking Workshop, Youth Video Camp
PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION ACTIVITIES:
The Stone and the Moon (Santiago, Chile) 2014 Feature Narrative (In Pre-Production)
Directors: Ricardo Navarrete, Vincenzo Mistretta
Against Impossible Odds (Buffalo, NY; Toronto, ON) Documentary Feature (in post-production)
Director: Penelope Prentice
Attica: The Bars That Bind Us (BUFFALO, NY) Documentary Feature (in post-production)
Director: Teresa Miller.
Little Green Men (West Virginia) Documentary Feature (in post-production)
Directors: Sarah Kohlberg, Maura McLaughlin.
Fluxus (New York City/Italy), 2012-2013. Documentary Feature
Director: Irene di Maggio, Mudima Foundation, Milan Italy.
Il Passato è il Mio Bastone (Rome, Italy) 2008 Kiwido DVD Extra.
Directors: Flavia Mastrella, Antonio Rezza.
Kriminal (Rome, Italy) 2007 Music Video.
Director: Giuliano Lombardo.
Independent Lens, July ’64 (Rochester, NY) 2006, 14 Feb. (Season 7, Episode 15) PBS, Documentary.
Director: Carvin Eison.
Made Over In America (USA/Canada) 2006, Feature Documentary
Directors: Bernadette Wegenstein & Geoffrey Alan Rhodes.
Like a House on Fire (Buffalo, NY) 2006, 16mm Experimental Narrative.
Director: Steven Eastwood.
Clair II (Buffalo, NY) 2005, Narrative Short 16mm Film.
Director: Brian Milbrand.
Breathe (Buffalo, NY) 2005, multi-media performance, Hand Made 16mm Film.
by Siew-wai Kok.
The Illness of it all (Buffalo, NY) 2004, Feature Narrative.
Director: Amos Poe.
Tesseract (Buffalo, NY), 2004. Award Winning Featurette (Best Cinematography)
Director: Alan Rhodes
Godot Downtown (Buffalo, NY) 2003, 16mm Experimental Narrative.
Director: Beatriz Flores
Remains to be Seen (Buffalo, NY) 2014, Short Documentary. Director: Sarah Elder
The Key (Buffalo, NY) 2010, Short Narrative.
Director: Tosca Miserendino
Dal Basso dei Cieli (Rome, Italy) 2008, Feature Documentary.
Director: Marilena Moretti.
Disciple (Rome, Italy) 2007, Feature Narrative.
Director: Alex Ferlazzo.
All About Ability (Rochester, NY) 1999, Short Documentary.
By Word Image Sound Productions.
- SOUND ENGINEER
Buried Lands (Bosnia Herzogovina) 2009, Feature Narrative
Producers: Steven Eastwood and Geoffrey Alan Rhodes.
Platform (Buffalo, NY) 1999, Short Narrative
Director: Elizabeth Finnegan
- MEDIA PRODUCER 1999-2006
The Ricecooker Productions, Inc. (Owner) Film and Video Production Post-Production. Buffalo, New York. – Produced Television commercials
and independent productions.
- INDEPENDENT VISUAL ARTIST 1990-Present
I exhibit Internationally original artwork and I have pieces in private collections, galleries, and public spaces.
- Film Screening Programmer, Gender Across Borders: Arts, Action, Activism Symposium, Screening : Obsidian Frames.(April 12-13, 201)
Film Screening Programmer, Open Video Projects, a video archive based in Rome, Italy that facilitates video art/film screenings throughout the city of Rome and abroad. (2006-present)
Art Gallery Curator, Acefalo Art Gallery, Palermo, Italy (1992-1993)
SCREENINGS / FESTIVALS / EXHIBITIONS
Mise-En-Scene: In Matter and Mind / multi-media art exhibition at Hi-Temp Fabrication, Buffalo, NY.
Buffalo Niagara Film Festival / Buffalo, NY
Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center / film screening, Buffalo, NY.
The Front Yard / permanent installation at the Burchfield Penny curated by B. Milbrand, Buffalo, NY
Giovedi Sperimentale / curated by Piero Pala at Cinema Filmstudio, Rome, Italy
Cape Town and Winelands International Film Festival / South Africa
Housecore Horror Film Festival / Austin, TX, US.
The Philip K. Dick Innternatioanl Film Festival Europe/ Lille, France
St. Tropez International Film Festival / France
Madrid International Film Festival / Spain (Best Musical Score)
World Music & Independent Film Festival / Washington (DC) (Best Screeenplay)
The Independent Days 13|Filmfest / Karlsruhe, Germany.
Winter Film Awards / New York City (NY), USA
Hot Media International Film Festival / Washington (DC), (Best Cinematography)
Jaipur International Film Festival / India
Macon Film Festival / Georgia, USA
Long Island Film Festival / New York, USA
The Indie Fest / California, USA (won: Award of Excellence)
Los Angeles Movie Awards / California, USA (Honorable Mention)
The Mexico International Film Festival /Mexico (Bronze Palm Award)
The Accolade Awards / California, USA (Award of Excellence)
The Philadelphia Independent Film Festival / Philadelphia (PA), USA
Downtown Film Festival / California, USA (Best Editing)
AOF International Film Festival / California, USA
Trani Film Festival / Italy
Independent Film Quarterly Film Festival / California, USA
Vegas Cine Fest / Nevada, USA (Honorable Mention)
XXIV Fano International Film Festival / Italy
FESANCOR 20th International Short Film Festival of Santiago / Chile
Crown Heights Film Festival / New York City (NY), USA
Oaxaca Film Fest / Mexico
Flipside TV Film Festival / California, USA
Festival Alternative Film / Video 2012, Belgrade, Serbia
The Philip K. Dick International Film Festival / New York City (NY)
Channels: Stories from the Niagara Frontier / Burchfiled Penny Arts Center, Buffalo. NY.
Structural Filmmaking, Video and New Media in Buffalo / Albright Knox Art Gallery,
Video Sound Dance Magic: Intermedia Performance / Burchfiled Penny Arts Center,
Buffalo, NY. Multi-media Performance with Brian Milbrand and Steina Vesuka
O’curt Short Film Festival, PAN Palazzo del Arte di Napoli, Italy.
Netwerk / Center for Contemporary Art , Brussels, Belgium.
Mudima Fondazione per l’Arte Contemporanea, Milano, Italy.
Blueroom, Open Video Project, Rome, Italy.
Gender Across Borders II: Research Subjects Conference, Univ. at Buffalo.
Free Speech Television, USA – Documentary.
O’Curt Film Festival, Naples, Italy.
Squeaky Wheel, Buffalo Media Resources, Buffalo, NY.
XIII International Oral History Conference, Rome, Italy
Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, Buffalo, NY.
Athens Internat’l Film & Video Festival, Baker Center, Athens, OH.
Video Mundi Video Bus Trip Chicago to Milwaukee. “The War Show”.
Networks, Art & Collaboration Conference, University at Buffalo.
US Super 8 Film & Digital Video Festival, Rutgers, NJ.“The War Show”.
Lackawanna Public Library, Lackawanna, NY.
University of Naples, Naples, Italy.
Buffalo Public Library, Buffalo, NY.
Buffalo Historical Society, Buffalo, NY.
Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY.
Lockport Community Television, Lockport, NY.
The New York International Independent Video and Film Festival, NYC.
HallWalls Contemporary Arts Center, Buffalo, NY.
AWARDS, GRANTS & INVITED PRESENTATIONS:
- Guest Artist, D’Youville College, November 5, 2013, Buffalo, NY.
- Lighting Workshop, Buffalo State College, October 23, 2013.
- Best Cinematography for Dissent at the Hot Media International Film Festival, 2013, Washington DC.
- Best Screenplay for Dissent at the Hot Media International Film Festival, 2013,
- Channels – Stories from the Niagara Frontier Production Grant, Squeaky
Wheel/National Endowment for the Arts, Buffalo, NY, 2010.
- Fulbright Fellowship for filmmaking to Italy, 2006-2007.
- Miquel Vinciguerra Filmmaking Grant, Italy, 2006
- Tonawanda Arts Council Grant, 2006, Tonawanda, NY.
- Best Cinematography for Tesseract by Geoffrey Alan Rhodes at Jetro Filmu
International Film Festival, 2005, Warsaw, Poland.
- Certificate of Recognition Teaching Award, State University of New York at Buffalo, 2005
- Best Documentary at the US Super8 Film and Digital Video Festival, Rutgers, NJ. For
Women In Black, Buffalo (2003), Part of “The War Show” by Termite TV. 02-2004 .
- Arts Council, Buffalo and Erie County, 2004, Erie County, NY.
- Niagara Arts Council, 2003 & 2001, Niagara County, NY.
- Experimental Television Center Finishing Grant, 2001, Ithaca, NY.
- Pan Am 2001, Woman’s Pavilion Project Fund, 2001, Buffalo, NY.
- Visual Studies Workshop Regrant, 1997, Rochester, NY.
- Media Study Dept. SUNY at Buffalo, Teaching Fellowship, 1996-1997.
- “Documenting Women In Black” in Historia, Antropología y Fuentes Orales (2005). 3rd
Época, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain. pg. 151.
- THAT Camp: Buffalo 2015: Emerging Possibilities in Digital Scholarship and Pedagogy. October 2015. Presented workshop titled “Micro-documentary Projects for the Humanities Classroom”
- Gender Across Borders II: Research Subjects 2006, SUNY at Buffalo, (Buffalo, NY) April 22, 2006. Curated screening “Obsidian Frames”.
- Mid Atlantic Popular & American Culture Association 15th Annual Conference,(Buffalo, NY) Nov. 6, 2004. Title of panel: “Music & Culture, The Beat Goes On” – Presented paper and screened documentary video: Buffalo and All That Jazz.
- XIII International Oral History Conference, Memory and Globalization.
(Rome, Italy) June 2004. Title of panel: “Re-conjuring the muse: memory through the
machine”. Presented original paper: “Documenting Women In Black”. Screened Documentary video: Women In Black, Buffalo, NY.
- The Rutgers University Italian Film Conference (Newark, NJ) Oct. 1996 . “Focusing the Kaleidoscope of Italian Film: Literary, Social, and Cultural Perspectives”. Title of panel: “A Question of Language”. Presented original paper titled: “Corporeal Language in Pier Paolo Pasolini’s Teorema”.
- Ninno Marchesano, “O’Curt: cento film a Grenoble e al Pan”, La Rebublica, Feb. 6, 2008.
- Vogel, Charity, “Protest, Women In Black: In an hour, a silent witness for Peace”, Buffalo News, July 20, 2003.
- Oddo, Laura, “Arte di Confine a Bagheria con Castiglione e Mistretta”, L’ORA, April 9, 1992.
- Valenza, Emilia, “Cenere al Servizio dell’Arte”, Giornale di Sicilia, April 27, 1991.
- Oddo, Laura, “Misteri Antichi per due Giovani Artisti”, L’ORA, April 27, 1991.
COLLECTIONS – PAINTINGS & SCULPTURE:
- Gallerie Moretti & Moretti, France. Gallery collection.
- The Town of Aspra (PA), Italy. Community mural project.
- Galleria Acefalo, Bagheria (PA), Italy. Paintings and Sculptures.
- Galleria Atelier Piero Montana. Palermo, Italy. Paintings.
- French Cultural Center, Palermo, Italy. Paintings.
- Private Collections in Italy and the United States